12.02.2009

Genetics

I just finished a stinkin' LONG genetics exam. Took me over 10 hours of researching, studying, crying, and trying to pull stuff out of my brain that was hardly there in the first place. It was like squeezing juice out of a dehydrated banana.

PAX6, HOX, Drosophilia, splotch mice, Meiosis I, chromosomal nondisjunctions, Robertsonian translocations....go on your merry way. You've worn out your welcome (and made me eat a bag of potato chips).


Taken the day after Thanksgiving at Kolob. Photo courtesy of Justin Hackworth

Here I am with my sisters. Notice the girls on the ends have genes for fly-away hair. And blue eyes. Is that dominant or recessive? Oh....sheesh...listen to me. I'm back to genetics.

Ok...the answer is recessive. Although cross-overs could account for some allelic variation. Or is it mosaicism? I can't really say. There are so many genetic terms swirling around in my head and bouncing off the empty spaces that are normally there. The reverberation is loud. Right now I just want to think about my cute sisters and the great time we had at Thanksgiving. One thing I know: they got the fun, nice, wise gene. Now that is the genetics I know and love!!  Yo canton mi familia.

Photo courtesy of my papa

6 comments:

LGH said...

What a great picture. But, this post is way over my head. I only understand the genetics that states "having a love of chocolate is in the genes."

Anonymous said...

Jen,
We are almost done for this semester just hold on a few more days. Then there is nothing on our schedule for at least three more weeks. Then you can relax, sleep, eat bon bons and do nothing that is brain wrenching. again just hold on...its almost done.

Nat said...

You are hilarious. Loved the post and the picture. Couldn't make much of the medical techno babble- glad it's you studying this stuff!! You have an extremely talented brother - I've checked out his photog blog a few times. (Wow.) I guess it really comes down to the fact that you guys just have an extremely talented family altogether. Loni and RAH should be bursting at the seams.

jeremy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jeremy said...

So these pictures are just a little discouraging....I mean...is there anyway that I will be able to find someone that can be included in this photoshoot and look as beautiful as you three and fit in? I'm just saying....

sheri palmer said...

Jen,
I was so looking forward to reading about your comments from the IT MODULES, guess you put those on your "fake" blog. Anyways, this one is so much more fun. I plan on tackling the last genetics test on wednesday....guess I can eat a bag of chips that day too. Good luck!
Have a RESTFUL Holiday.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...