7.26.2012

Girl's Party: One Last Hurrah


 let's share a drink
taste sunshine
come and sit awhile
it's summertime
             - ms fish


In July, I threw a little shindig.

This was a party for the girls. The girls who have been second moms to Otto and Andy throughout jr high and high school. The girls who are the moms of my son's best friends (did you get all that?).

Now that graduation is over, our boys are going their separate ways. So it was time for me to say thanks and show my deep love, appreciation and admiration for these incredible women who have raised equally incredible men.


The party planning committee (me) started weeks in advance. First I nailed down a theme (One Last Hurrah) and color scheme: cream, pink, orange and blue. Then I designed the invitation.  My inspiration was a beautiful bouquet of peonies and some fabric I purchased at Joann's closing store sale. Got a killer deal on some nice home fabrics, which I sewed into a tablecloth and runner, as well as linen napkins.


Invitation: front

Invitation: back
I wanted to eat outside, but at the last minute it was too windy, so we went to Plan B. The tablecloth I custom-made to fit my patio table still worked inside. But sadly, we lost the great ambiance and lighting of the outdoors.

table setting


hors d'oeuvres


The menu is the hardest thing for me to decide on. I poured over recipes and conjured up old favs for the perfect foods to compliment the taste of summer and feminine appeal.

Here is what I settled on. I began food preparation about 1 week before the event and made a little something each day. On the day of the party, my husband, my daughter Daisy and her boyfriend were a huge help in cleaning and pulling everything together. Then my boys helped plate up the food.

MENU
Hors d' oeuvres: watermelon cubes with balsamic glaze, cucumber cups with spicy avocado cream, gouda and asiago cheese wedges with Ranier cherries
Bread: Artisan white and artisan rosemary, homemade rolls, european butter with pink hawaiin sea salt
Drink: sparkling french berry lemonade
Main: Mixed greens with grilled chicken, pears, black grapes, fusilli pasta, smoked almonds and balsamic vinaigrette
Mini desserts pictured below

{freshly squeezed} orange sherbet with coconut cookie

chocolate pudding with creme fraiche and piment d' espelette

lemon-curd marbled cheesecake with raspberry coulis and lemon mousse

At the end of the night, I gifted each gal with a signed copy of a book that is special to me: Heaven is Here, written by my sister-in-law. It is a beautifully written book and inspiring story of motherhood [among other things], which echoes how I feel about each of the mothers who came.

all wrapped up


Autographed by both Stephanie and ghostwriter Amy Hackworth


close-up of gift card label
The best part of the night was Otto and Andy. They served us (to show their gratitude as well) and were professional, courteous and funny. They even cleaned up and washed the dishes (without being asked!). They totally made the night {for me}. Oh how I love them!

And of course, the conversation was great fun. The girls stayed and stayed and we talked the night away. It was a super great great great!

`````````````````````````````````````````````

Other resources for you party animals:
Mini cheesecake pan
Avery round labels for drink bottles
Avery labels for gift tags
Stripey straws
Striped ice cream spoons
Mini ice cream bowls
Mini flare pudding cups

3 comments:

LGH said...

Oh my heck; you should run a restaurant or a party planning business; this is just incredible. Totally gorgeous and delightful. Jenni, you are amazing!

Justin Hackworth said...

Wow. That's amazing. What a night, Jenni.

Celeste said...

Well played, Jenni!
it's been awhile since I've looked at your blog, and it made me miss your family. Can't wait to see you guys this weekend (hope Janessa told you about that)!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...