9.20.2008

Tough Enough to Wear Pink

This weekend was the 73rd Annual Dixie Lion's Club Round-up. I love the rodeo. I love the tough cowboys, their big belt buckles, the smell of the horses, the smooth voice of the announcer, and the thrill of the competition, intensified with the threat of bodily harm hanging heavily in the air.

I attended on Friday night, which is "Tough Enough to Wear Pink" night. The Lion's Club donates $1 from each ticket sale to our breast cancer program at DRMC. Last year, this resulted in a $12,000 gift.

Pink night is the by far the best night at the rodeo. The addition of PINK into an environment normally known for its ruggedness is a compelling juxtaposition. And gosh almighty, men look good in pink shirts! Especially men in cowboy boots and Wranglers!!

The whole night, I was touched. Pink crossed all walks of life. I observed teenagers with chain necklaces, tattoos and spiked hair wearing pink shirts. I saw whole families in pink, and muscular men with pressed, pink oxfords. There were women in pink who were bald, probably going through chemo. The cement wall in the arena had been painted pink just for the night. The clowns and cowboys wore pink. The night was electric. It was an awesome display of support for a disease that has touched us all.

I can't wait for next year.


2008 Royalty. I interviewed with them on KONY radio Friday morning.





1 comment:

LGH said...

Jenni, I thought of you on Friday night and told Allen that it was the "Big Night." I'm glad that it was so successful. The pictures and your description were wonderful. It's fun to live in a community that is so supportive of such a worthy cause. Hope it brings in the big bucks to help fight this illness.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...